Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ready for School

We went down to Ethan's school the other night to take some "first day of school" pictures. I figured if I did them early I could get some fun pictures before the school was crowded with other kids. I forgot that the gates are always locked so we couldn't really take pictures at the school, but just out front. Oh well.

While we were there, we got to see all kinds of fun stuff. There were lots of jack rabbits running all over the fields. We tried to get closer to them, but apparently stealth is not one of Colby's best qualities, and we kept scaring them away. If you look very closely you can see one in this shot:

We also found the school's little nature walk area. We had fun looking for lizards and more rabbits and birds in the desert.



Then Zak let the boys drive around the empty parking lot. Yikes. I am glad we still have a long time before we will have to worry about this guy behind the wheel!

So Ethan started kindergarten yesterday! He has been so excited about it. He loved preschool so much. I tried to tell him this was going to be different, because he would be there every day for a long time. He thought that sounded even better! Over the last few weeks, I was getting more and more worried about sending him off to the big bad world. We went to the open house last week and got to meet his teacher and see his classroom and everything and it made me feel a lot better. His teacher is great and the classroom is really fun. He is going to love it. When Monday morning rolled around and it was time for him to go, it was hard for me to be sad when I saw how excited he was!

He had so much fun on the first day. He came home and told me all about the slide and the books they read and how he got to go to a special room to eat lunch (I never knew a elementary school cafeteria was so special!). He also told me about some of his friends that he "made up". He gets to sit next to a girl named Olivia--just like his cousin's name. And there was a boy named Anthony, just like his other friend, but he is pretty sure it is a different boy because he looks different than his friend. (If only I could record everything he says--so funny.) I am looking forward to seeing how much he learns and grows this year. It is still quite the adjustment for us--Colby and I don't know what to do with ourselves all day. And the early morning thing is not something we are used to around this house. Hopefully within the next week or two we will get it all figured out and the routine will be good. I still cannot believe he is old enough to be in school!

7 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Loved the pictures of the '1st day of school'. Zak must be _____ to let the kids 'drive'. 'Twas always hard for me to have the kids go off to school each year. So didn't get easier. I loved that they have a nature trail around the school. That is COOL!

Sara Cotter said...

Oh wow I can't believe Ethan is five already and going to Kindergarten! Brielle will go next year.

Kristi said...

How did they grow up so fast? Em starts next week!
He is so cute and I love all the pics!

Jamie Taylor said...

Wow, Michelle! I can't believe you have one in school already! That's wonderful. Sounds like the experience was a good one. Definitely gives me something to look forward to. I love the desert/nature walk. You so live in Arizona when the kid's elementary school has a nature walk that looks like that. :) Congrats. I'm glad it went well. :)

Cindy said...

Ethan! You are so big! Congrats on going to Kindergarten!!! I'm proud of you bud!

Stacy LeFevre said...

Hello Cousin! I just happened to run across your Christmas Letter as I was organizing/filing and saw you have a blog. I am so excited to be able to know what is going on with you guys. I can't believe any of us have kids that are old enough to be in school but Rydman will be in the 4th grade this year. Yikes!! If you want to see what is happening with us we are at thefevs.blogspot.com. You can also find a link to Brian and Ann's blog there too!

Tim and Mandi said...

Hey Michelle,

So I have to admit that I have been on your blog a few times already! Your boys are adorable! What a good idea to do pictures early. You'll have to tell me what you thought of Persuasion. I liked it, but after having just read Pride and Prejudice, it was hard to compare. I think i'm going for mansfield park next. I can't make the traing on saturday...have fun!
Mandi