Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mediocrity Tag

My sister responded to this post by her friend, and then forced me to do it. I'm sure you will all be so surprised to see imperfections from the Price household....


The challenge:

"Enough already! I sit down for a walk down acquaintance lane, and while perusing through the blogs of friends and family I'm accosted with massive amounts of over-achieving. It's not a true example of historic accuracy. Where are the TV watching, preservative eating, unvacuumed lives of my peeps? So TAG!!!! I challenge all who read this plea, to put down their craft projects, and t-ball trophies---just for a few hours, and let me see the human side of your lives. I'm not asking for a video account of you losing your temper after one of your 45 sons pees in the garbage can. Maybe just a picture of an unmade bed, or a mole with hair growing out of it. ---Am I the only one who occasionally feels a little green with envy after a half-hour of blog surfing?"


So here goes. First, a little explanation. Today is day 2 of Spring Break for Ethan. With the weekend and yesterday, we have had 3 full days of brotherly bonding, which usually leads to brotherly battles. I was fed up. I have pretty much banished them to the backyard today. So except for the occasional (as in every 5 minutes) fight I have to break up out there, I have had peace and quiet in my house, which means the number of toys on the floor today is about a 10th of the usual amount.


Here's a little look around:

This is the state of the desk that I am sitting at as I waste time on the computer.

This is the living room. Notice the cups and bowls. Those are from breakfast when I gave the boys dry cold cereal and chocolate milk as they watched PBS kids and I went back to bed with Sadie. (And yes, I still have my 5-year-old drink out of a sippy cup when he's on the carpet). Also, the Flubber case from when I let them watch a movie after lunch. 2 cartoons and a movie today. We're doing good.

And here is lunch still waiting to be cleaned up. That was only 3 hours ago.

3 loads of laundry in my room. It was on the couch, but I moved it to my room when we had friends come over Sunday night. It is still not folded. Behind the pile are the things I took down off our walls when we rearranged our room 2 months ago. They have not yet been put back up.

Two more loads of laundry. If you count the load that is waiting in the dryer, I have 6 loads of laundry to be folded. Yikes.

Here's Ethan. He's had a runny nose for the last few days and since he wipes it with his hands after playing in the dirt, he ends up with a nasty looking upper lip.
And Colby. He's wearing a ninja turtle shirt that his nice Aunt Kerri found for him for $0.34. He loves it. I hate it. I try to hide it from him, but he still requests it. This is his third time wearing it and he just got it 2 weeks ago. I do have to admit it is a good one for Saint Patty's day since it is a "mean green smackdown machine". No one would dare pinch him.
Just a typical day around here....
Now lets see some other REAL lives out there.

8 comments:

Larissa said...

That's what I like to see. Too much t.v., laundry piles, kids fighting. Good work. I like the breakfast you made so you could go back to sleep. I can never do that now because Katelyn wakes up when they wake up. Your desk looks about like ours. And I like Colby's shirt. You should have Kerri shop for you more often so you can be embarrassed to take your kids out in public. I still know your house in pretty clean most of the time - all you have to do is move a pile of laundry to have friends over, we'd probably have to clean all day. It's easier to just not have friends. (: Looks like a fun Flubber-filled spring break. Thanks for posting this.

Jamie Taylor said...

I love that you put the kids up in front of the tv and went back to sleep. I have done that on occasion! And the laundry pile/dirty dishes make me feel SO much better about my life. Thanks for posting, and check my blog. I'm so doing this...

LaBountys said...

So I'm a creepy blogger who found your blog on a short trail of others'. Anwyay, your new baby is so beautiful!!!

Cecily Markland said...

Great job, Michelle. I love that you tried to show your "bad" side, but all I could see is that both of your boys are smiling from ear to ear and you are enjoying the bonding with your little girl. Yes, the laundry may be piled to the ceiling, but laundry will always be there! You really are doing an incredibly important work and those years pass too quickly (easy for me to say on this end, I know...but they really do!)
Love you! Wish I were there to fold clothes. :)
Mom

Tim and Mandi said...

This is officially my favorite tag ever! I'm totally doing it, as scary as it might be. It's so nice to know that we're not all perfect little molly mormons! Although, Michelle I have to say things still looked pretty darn good at your house! Tyler has had many breakfasts just like your boys so I could stay in bed...i'm glad I'm not the only one!

Poulsen Family said...

Ah refreshing! Awesome post, so much like days I've had. The first blog I ever did showed my house in St. Louis and the disaster it was...you should go back and look, it WAY beats yours :)

Amber said...

Yes we all are NORMAL!!! I love your mom's comment. I have decided that I am going to try to blog more often so that it captures normal life instead of just the extrodinary. We'll see how it goes.

Kirstin said...

Wow, this was an awesome tag! I feel so much better about my laundry now (I have about 4 loads that are folded/piled in my closet just waiting to be put away too). My kids stay in their pajamas for hours and the play room is currently a wreck. Glad to know that I'm not alone in my imperfection. :) Oh, and I waste time on the computer all the time too.