Saturday, January 26, 2008

LAS VEGAS OR BUST!!

Heard that phrase before?? We'll we lived it.

We were headed to Las Vegas this weekend for my Nana's 80th birthday. We were really excited to go. So Friday morning, we packed everything in the van (this was our first real road trip with the van since we got it a little over a month ago) and headed north. We were just getting started with the trip--got about 65 miles, so just north of Casa Grande, when our transmission went out! We were cruisin' down the freeway when all the sudden, the van had no power. Luckily, we were right by an exit ramp, and we were able to pull off and get safely off the road. We tried to mess with it a little, but it was obvious that the van was done.

Now what???

We have never broken down like that before, so we were not really sure where to even start! Zak and I both just kind of stared at each other for a minute. (While the kids calmly kept watching their movie in the back, oblivious). Luckily we found that we do have roadside assistance through our insurance (never needed to know that before!), so we were able to call them to arrange for a tow truck. The boys were a little disappointed that it was a new fancy truck, and didn't look more like this guy!


Then, what else could we do but call our best friends?? We were actually not far from the Mitchells, since they live on the north end of Casa Grande. We were so glad that Katie could come rescue me and the boys, while Zak went with Jim, the scary, smoking tow truck driver back down to Tucson. They got the van into the shop, where we found out we get to buy a new, shiny transmission. Yea!! That is just what we want to spend money on!
Then Zak drove our car back up to Casa Grande to get us. It turned out to be a pretty good excuse to hang out the the bright lights of Casa Grande. Zak even got to go downtown with Jeff and see the strip. I'm so jealous. It is almost as exciting as Vegas, and we had a really hard time deciding what to do first with all the fun things there. (Sorry we love to make fun of your home town Jeff. You know we think it is Grande! And thanks again Katie for rescuing us! And for sharing your leftovers! You're the best. It would have been a really bad day without you guys!)
So, we never made it to Vegas. The transmission did bust. We're sad we missed out on all the fun and family there, but with the luck we were having, Vegas is probably the last place we want to be right now--we have enough money going out!

We hope you had a Happy 80th Birthday, Nana! Sorry we missed it! We love you! We'll have try to make it out there again soon!

7 comments:

Ashlee said...

We were so excited to see you guys! I'm so sorry about the van, I hate car problems, especially expensive ones, dang!!

The Merrell Family said...

that s ounds like an adventure! hey, nice to see you and your family. I added you to our blog.

Kristi said...

I am so sorry! I am sure your family understood though and at least the Mitchells were there to save the day!
Also - thank goodness for movies in the car!!!

Cindy said...

In my family it isn't a family vacation unless you break down and get stranded at least once! Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm glad you at least you had friends nearby!! Hopefully we can come and hang out with you guys soon, since Christian went without Coop and I this last time! Love you guys!

Goodwoman said...

This will teach you Michelle that you should have got a car like Jeremy and I had when we were first married. Then you would have been more prepared. It broke down at least 4 times a year. One time the car broke down just past the off ramp for Sedona. So Jeremy pulled off to the side of the road. We put the car in neutral and we rolled backwards down the freeway on ramp. Classy, I know. Another time Jeremy wanted to go on a drive. I reminded him to put his shoes on, but he didn't. The car broke down at the end of Zuni towards CCC. We needed to walk back to the duplex but Jeremy didn't have any shoes. Lucky for him I had left a pair of my 3" heal flip-flops in the back of the car. I am sure that you can imagine the rest.

Amber said...

Oh... I am sorry!! What a bummer.

Jen said...

Yikes! The minivan let you down! Sorry, but it is a great story and atleast it wasn't between phx and kingman or somewhere.